Upload error message

Robert Monk

When uploading transcription 1987MO0038.BMD, I get this warning: "Possible mis-transcription: name "NNADI" starts with "NN" at line 32  (OGUNLEYE,RICHARD A.,NNADI,ISLINGTON,08.87,13,1635) (Help)". The
transcription is correct and the Help file says "Warnings are not necessarily errors; they are a request for transcribers to check that what they have transcribed is what is in the index and not a typing error."

I now understand that I just ignore it and that the upload has been successful, but this is not clear from the message. Could we add something along the lines of "...in the index and not a typing error. In which case, the message can be ignored; the file has been successfully uploaded"?

Robert Monk

'Barrie'

But you have only quoted half the message! What it actually says is
  • Possible mis-transcription: name "NNADI" starts with "NN" at line 32 (OGUNLEYE,RICHARD A.,NNADI,ISLINGTON,08.87,13,1635) (Help)

The file 1987MO0038 has been created and the entries uploaded However, please check the above warning and amend the file if necessary (click on the Help link if you need further information about any of the warnings).

So the part about "successfully uploaded" is already there. We try never to say warnings can be ignored, because that so easily translates into "all warnings can be ignored" which is untrue.

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 01:55 PM, Robert Monk wrote:
When uploading transcription 1987MO0038.BMD, I get this warning: "Possible mis-transcription: name "NNADI" starts with "NN" at line 32  (OGUNLEYE,RICHARD A.,NNADI,ISLINGTON,08.87,13,1635) (Help)". The
transcription is correct and the Help file says "Warnings are not necessarily errors; they are a request for transcribers to check that what they have transcribed is what is in the index and not a typing error."

I now understand that I just ignore it and that the upload has been successful, but this is not clear from the message. Could we add something along the lines of "...in the index and not a typing error. In which case, the message can be ignored; the file has been successfully uploaded"?

Robert Monk

'Barrie'

(continuing previous message which groups.io appears to have sent because I left the page)

However, the text has been changed to "... amend the file if it does not correspond with what is in the index" rather than the somewhat vague "... amend the file if necessary".

Regards

Barrie

Robert Monk

Barrie